Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:23:06 -0400
From:      "Michael C. Cambria" <cambria@mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tunnels & Route Advertisements

Hi,

I have a few FreeBSD 4.3-Stable systems being used to connect small
sites over the Internet.  One site will be expanding to have more than
one subnet.  I'm interested to know what to expect when these systems
run routing protocols in the presense of tunnels.  I am curious about
both IPSec tunnels and IPIP tunnels.

Should a tunnel endpoint show up in route advertisements sent from
rip/gated/zebra running on the FreeBSD 4.3-Stable system?

My guess is that for IPIP (e.g. gif interfaces), both remote endpoints
(outer IP address & inner IP address) are added to the local route table
since FreeBSD sees them as 2 interfaces.  It seems that ifconfig should
(or at least could) just add the route for gif0 just as it would for
xl0.  Is this the case?

I'm assuming that given an interface, the route deamon chosen can be
configured to use the tunnel interface as any other.

For _IPSec_ tunnels, I'm not as sure.  I don't see any existing
mechinism that I'm familiar with such as ifconfig.  Any ideas?

I prefer IPSec tunnels for encryption of the internet, but can live (for
now) with IPIP if it does the job.

Thanks,
MikeC