Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:24:17 -0400
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tail

Juha Saarinen wrote:

> :: UNIX is about doing what you ask for.  You want to tail/cat a
> :: directory, who is the system to tell you otherwise.
>
> That's just silly.
>
> Who hasn't mistakenly tailed/cat'ed a directory?
>
> I thought the "User-unfriendliness Is Cool" era was long buried.

Like so many people before you already explained, doing tail on a
directory IS useful in some rare situations, like for example, using
tar, and certain other things.  Remember, a directory is treated as a
regular file on unix filesystems.  I see no reason to correct tail's
behavior. If you sit there and do `tail' on a directory all day long,
then you've got problems.  Surely, you might want to modifiy cat's
behavior, because some poor unsuspecting user might get some ugly
garbage printed to his terminal when he does 'cat' on a disk device.

Really, doing tail on a directory is harmless (unless, of course,
looking at the binary data being printed to the tty is causing
seizures).  If you think Linux does things better, then what the hey,
just run Linux.  Linux isn't a bad OS.  Why must you run FreeBSD if you
like Linux better?  Both are great open source OS's, and both suit
different types of users.