Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:15:40 -0600
From:      Spencer Proffit <spencer@veriohosting.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possible bug with static initializers in JDK 1.1.8

I am using java 1.1.8 on FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE.  If I compile the
following code:

package scratch.test;

public class StaticTest {
    static {
       java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle("scratch.test.StaticTest");
    }

    public static void main(String[] argv) {
        System.out.println("Hello World!");
    }
}

I get the following error:

# javac scratch/test/StaticTest.java
# java scratch.test.StaticTest
Can't find class scratch.test.StaticTest
#

It doesn't matter if I compile if with JDK 1.3 on linux or jdk 1.1.8 on
FreeBSD.
It works fine in linux JDK 1.3 and FreeBSD JDK 1.2.2.  It also works if
I comment out the bit about the resource bundle.  It doesn't make a
difference if the properties file exists or not, it always fails on
FreeBSD JDK 1.1.8, and on other JDKs it gives the correct error if the
file is not found.

--
Spencer Proffit
spencer@veriohosting.com