Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:39:54 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELNOTESng problems

Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> Hello -stable:
>
> With the recent move of RELNOTESng to -stable, what do we need
> to do to build/maintain this documentation along with source?

IIRC, to build the relnotes now, you need to build a release, which is
something I haven't had the resources (drive space and man-hours) to do
since 2.2.6, which is when I discovered fbsd. :)

> For example, does {build,install}world take care of this?
> (Apparently not, but I'd appreciate The Official Word(tm). :)

Nope. But then again, I'm no Official Whatever(tm). :)

[snip]
> So, to restate my question:
> 1.  How do I build/maintain -stable documentation?

Again, I'm no Official Whatever, but I think you need a make release.

However, the /usr/src/release/doc/README files does state that:

If building the release notes "standalone" (in other words, not part
of a release), it may be necessary (depending on the relative
locations of the checked-out src/ and doc/ directories) to set the
DOC_PREFIX Makefile variable to point to the top directory of the doc/
tree.  For example:

	 % make DOC_PREFIX=/usr/doc all

Did you try that?

> 2.  How (where) do I go to look at said documentation?

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/

As mentionned in /usr/src/releases/texts/README.

> Commentary:
> While I think the move to RELNOTESng is probably a Good Thing,
> I think deletion/removal of the ascii-plaintext versions from
> src/release/texts/* is probably Not Such A Good Thing.

I totally agree with Kenneth here.

I think that we should keep the rendered .TXT files in the cvs
repository. Even if they're not exactly up to date, it's better than
having nothing at all, or needing megabytes of third-party text
processing code, just to have *text-only* release notes.

Come on people, it can't be so hard to keep a copy of the rendered
versions in the cvs? Asami does it for /usr/ports/INDEX, iirc. And no
one complains if it's out of date.

We just have to plaster a big WARNING in the readme saying that the
files are not necessarly up to date...

> Additionally, I "question" the necessity of requiring tools
> "outside" the base-OS solely for reading the relevant release
> notes/errata.

Again, I agree here. Having these release notes is a pretty good hint of
what's new or MFC'd in current or stable. I often use it to tell myself
running -current is a good thing. (joking) ;)

Seriously, now, in order to have relnotes, errata and hardware.txt on
-stable or current, we need:

* the -doc distro
* the ports (from textproc/docproj):
   - textproc/sgmlformat
   - www/tidy
   - textproc/dsssl-docbook-modular
   - textproc/html
   - textproc/linuxdoc
   - textproc/docbook-310
   - textproc/docbook-410
   - textproc/iso8879
   - graphics/eps2png
   - graphics/netpbm
   - www/links

And these ports take a good while to build, on low-end machines.

I don't want to hit on anyone's head with this, and I think that the
move to relnotesNG is a really good one, cleanly accomplished.

I just think having the .txt files rendered is a really simple thing to
do for Global User Satisfaction (tm).

Thanks for your time, and have a nice day.

A.
--
La sémantique est la gravité de l'abstraction.