Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:44:40 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: convert libgmp to a port?

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 01:51:56PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > libbn is already part of OpenSSH; it's a trivial matter to make it
> > into a standalone library.  In other words, we already include two
> > functionally equivalent bignum libraries in FreeBSD, so one of them
> > should go.
>
> I couldn't agree more :)

I'm going to word this strongly, mostly because I feel
strongly about the underlying issues.

The SSL one is known to be very slow, and was written
as a proof of concept by the author.  Please read the
release notes; it is seriously slow.  Replacing it will
increase your SSL performance significantly.  OpenSSL
is similarly very slow, and not very well architected;
the use of pointers in the hardware acceleration code
just about doubles the number of instructions required
to prepare an argument descriptor.  There is much low
hanging fruit in that code.  It is mostly bad code,
and its reliance on threading instead of finite state
automata shows a serious lack of understanding of what
it takes to make high performance code -- unfortunately,
it is becoming a more common trade off, since it is much
easier to write threads than it is to seperate statites,
and keep the code understandable to a college sofphmore
contributor base: it is becoming a disease in Open Source
software in general.

Please _do not_ "standardize" on "equivalents" without
benchmarks -- the functionality may be equivalent, but
the performance certainly is not.

-- Terry