Date:      Wed, 05 Sep 2001 20:42:39 -0500
From:      Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>
To:        kc5vdj@yahoo.com
Cc:        Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: ACPI CHANGES AFFECTING MOST -CURRENT USERS

Jim Bryant wrote:

> Dave Cornejo wrote:
>
>> you wrote:
>>
>>> And just for the record: PERL is right out (of space) for this
>>> purpose...
>>>

>> as I assume emacs would be too? :-(
>

> Hey now!  Them's fightin' words!  :^)
>
> Emacs makes the sun shine,
> Emacs makes the birds sing,
> Emacs makes the grass grow green!
>
> chsh -s /usr/local/bin/emacs root
>
> So what if FreeBSD can run on a 4 meg machine once it's booted, if it
> can't use eight megs while booting, and do your laundry for you at the
> same time!
>
> Emacs r0x!

OF course, emacs would be a little large and bloated, no matter how much I like it, or you like it, but, you do bring up a viable
alternative to FORTH [which is unlikely to be scrapped in the bootloader], and so far, it may be the only viable alternative
discussed so far, and that is LISP.

LISP can be implemented in a tiny form, it is the OLDEST high-level language in computing, it has a LARGE base of programmers, and
it is easy to learn.  Full Common-LISP wouldn't be necessary for a bootloader, only a reasonable subset.

EMACS may be large, some will say bloated, but it is a tribute to the sheer flexibility of the LISP language.

I doubt if the bootloader will ever change from FORTH, but if it does, I suggest LISP as the preferred choice on a short-list of
potential replacements.

jim
--
     ET has one helluva sense of humor!
He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!