Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 23:57:30 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dwcjr@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   samba oplocks (was samba PDC / kernel tuning)

[cc: maintainer]

FreeBSD 4.4-RC with NIS
Samba 2.2.2a_1 (and _2) as PDC
Win95B +IE4.02 +DUN1.3 +Y2KDHCP +IE5.5SP2 clients

Got the server running okay. Now I'm getting
"no response received to oplock break request..."
[mostly the logon.bat file]

Some of the daemons which suffer this peg the CPU at 98%,
which causes all the other processes to slow down. I've had
network/system loads of 20+. Race?

This goes away if I disable oplocks (no really), but
this causes some clients to fail to load the logon.bat
file. This is a major problem as all the shares load
via 'net use'.

I can reproduce this with as few as 8 clients when they
are logged on in very quick succession. With normal network
load many (25%) of the clients will lock solid.

Giving each user a separate logon.bat helps but doesn't
cure, as I cannot do this with all the shared files!
Since this is a read-only share (except admin) I don't see
how it can block at all. Then again file locking is akin to
black magic as far as I'm concerned.

I note that kernel oplocks are on by default.

Would it be worth trying an earlier version of samba? In
which case, which one. Bearing in mind I need PDC support
for Win95 (only).

I've tried bandwidth limiting (2Mb/s) but this didn't help.

Since I've had some limited success today I've obtained
a repreve on installing NT. However if I cannot fix this
by Friday that's what I'll be doing at the weekend.

TIA

--
ian j hart