Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 18:46:00 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dennis Berger <Dennis.Berger@nipsi.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting a new filesystem to FreeBSD

Dennis Berger wrote:

> Then we maybe give the guys at sistina some support, cause they
> hold back the GFS-project for freebsd.
> A Projectleader told me if there will be more demand, they bump
> it to higher priority.
>
> GFS filesystem refer http://www.sistina.com

I already provided them with patches against their top level
source tree which made all of the user space tools and
utilities compile on FreeBSD.  It too me all of about 2 hours
to do all of them.

They also informed me that one of their engineers has FreeBSD
support code for some of the kernel parts, but has not yet
committed it to their tree.

My bigest problem with it right now is license, since a GPL
means that FreeBSD could not use it as a boot FS, which makes
the code useless to me.  They have indicated that they are
willing to work with the license, but there are still some
problems with regard to contributions by third parties made
under the license under which they distribute the Linux
version: either those contributions will need to be ripped
out and redone, or their authors will need to assign rights
to Sistina.

The kernel space stuff is more complicated; I haven't had
experience with the shared hardware interfaces they use
(I have had experience with similar interfaces in AIX, though),
nor do I have the equipment available to do a driver for
them using the Linux driver as a reference implementation;
I would want the documentation, anyway, since I would be
wary of the end result being GPL encumbered.  I estimate
from looking at the Linux driver that this would take no
more than 3 days worth of work (24 man hours) to get done,
for someone with experience.

The FS implementation itself is rather trivial, if you know
what you are doing, and have knowledge of the internals of
the system you are doing the work on.  What FreeBSD has done
with the VOP_ABORTOP code (removed it) throws a wrench into
things, but it is not a serious obstacle.

Really, the GFS stuff wants someone to write media drivers
with range locking entry points before the rest of the code
can progress.

If someone wants to tackle the drivers for the oddball hardware,
and will do interoperability testing with their Linux version
hitting the same storage at the same time, as long as it can be
put on a floppy or other removable medium, I can do the FS
itself after that (I'm not interested in using GFS on local
hard drives for my own purposes, so unless there is a shared
device, I don't care about it).  But realize, I will NOT be
developing in -current, but on the 4.x branch instead, if I do
this, and the issue of license must be addressed first.

-- Terry