Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 02:51:07 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Christoph Hellwig <hch@ns.caldera.de>
Cc:        Dennis Berger <Dennis.Berger@nipsi.de>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, opengfs-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject:   Re: Porting a new filesystem to FreeBSD

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > This disagrees with a discussion I had off list, as to the use
> > and availableility of DLOCK, and the firmness of the SCSI III
> > standard.  The GFS people are using Matt Jacob's fiberchannel
> > driver, and a network based distributed lock manager.
>
> DLOCK was GFS 3.x.  GFS 4.x and OpenGFS use dmep.

I think you are misunderstanding me.  There is a SCSI III
primitive in the drafts that permits multiple masters to
range lock disk ranges  to a a particular host.  By doing
this, it permits multiple writers, by guarantees that each
host will not overlap a write.  It also causes a writeback
invalidation for other masters, in order to effect a distributed
cache coherency protocol, without additiona daemons or hardware.

> > > The first yes, the second not.
> >
> > Tell me how I can distribute a binary, where it is impossible for
> > all the code to be under GPL because some of the code is under
> > another license, yet statically link it with GPL'ed code?
>
> I never said that you can redistribute the binary.

Can you explain "The first yes, the second not"?  It's a bit
cryptic, then...

[ ... ]
> But I really hate this stupid license discussions, especially on
> technical lists.

The problem is that you have proposed a technical solution which
is politically impossible.  You have to expect political reasons
why it is impossible to result from the suggestion.

Basically, you are calling for volunteers to work on something
they won't be able to use, when it's done.

> You can link it withput problem - as long as you don't redistribute the
> linked product.

I might as well use XFS, then, which is at least being ported to
FreeBSD...

> > If someone would write a fiberchannle driver, and tell me where I
> > can buy cheap hardware, I could probably write a GFS-like FS from
> > scratch; but it's not something I'm interested in taking on, if it
> > means that there's nothing to run it on but local disks, when I get
> > there (ugh!).
>
> You can use OpenGFS without dmep-capable hardware as well, there's
> still the IP option.

That's much less useful.  I'd work on an FS that could do what GFS
or XFS could do, without the encumberanbces, and assuming that it
was all FS work, and not driver work for hardware I don't have yet.

-- Terry