Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:14:40 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
Cc:        Stephen Hurd <deuce@lordlegacy.org>, Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

Paul Richards wrote:
> I suggest you look into the issues a little more deeply. The US did nothing
> to assist the UK in it's fight against terrorism. It was actually Clinton
> that changed US policy to try and broker peace in the province, until that
> time the US was assisting the IRA, at least to the extent that it was
> allowing it's citizens to support the cause financially.

The IRA is a domestic problem, just as the Oklahoma and Atlanta
Olympic bombings were domestic problems.

I noticed that the U.K. did nothing to aid in those cases to
assist the U.S. in its fight against terrorism.

Either the U.K. has sovereignty over Ireland, in which case
the conflict is internal, or it doesn't, in which case, "the
right side" is a matter of debate.

> >> Did the UK decide to wage war on innocent countries when faced with
> >> such provocation?
> >
> > You mean like Ireland, for harboring the IRA?  That would be a
> > "yes".
>
> That would be no. That's a ludicrous statement to make; the UK never waged
> a war against Ireland.

Armed British occupation forces?  Or, if you prefer, an
internal police action.  Again, it's an issue of sovereignty.

> >> There needs to be a reasoned response to this attack, and declaring war
> >> on countries because some of their residents are suspected of being
> >> involved is not a reasonable response. It's more a symptom of the
> >> foreign policy the US has had for many years which led to the terrorist
> >> attack in the first place. i.e. do what we want or we will send the boys
> >> around.
> >
> > What if the residents are provably involved, and the country is
> > unwilling to permit extradition?
>
> Then you live with it. Just like the UK lived with the fact that the
> Locherbie bombers were resident in Libya. You pursue many avenues to try
> and bring them to justice but you don't go declaring war on them.

Or you do something about it.  You only "live with it" if the
bully is bigger than you, or you can't otherwise defend yourself.

> It's the attitude that the US has that suggests that the solution is to go
> and invade and teach the world a lesson. That's actually not very civilised
> at all.

Neither is ramming aircraft into civilian office buildings,
which includes the Pentagon; despite its symbolism, many of the
people who work there are civilians.

-- Terry