Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2001 01:51:39 +0200
From:      Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A breath of fresh air..

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> No.  The not-so-hidden assumption is that the system that best meets the
> customers' requirements will tend to become dominant, because most customers
> are mostly rational.  Since Windows is dominant, then, logically it meets
> the requirements of most customers, and so it is the rational choice.

Nope, it is the rational choise for *those* customers, not all.

Speaking from my consulting experience, most customers are morons and if
something dominates the market it is more due to their stupidity, effective
marketing and network effects rather than rational choices based on well
defined requirements.

Anyway, I digress... let's pretend that Windows is dominant only because
it meets the requirements of "most" customers. Apparently, "most" is a
subset of "all" customers, so there exists a non-empty set of customers
that can rationally, based on their requirements, choose something other
than Windows, even for the desktop.

Why does this bother you? Are other peoples choices with no direct or
indirect effect on you affecting your happiness? If yes, seek therapy.
If no, there is nothing further to discuss, let's all "just get along".

> Their conclusions thus far seem to lead them overwhelmingly to Windows on
> the desktop.

Indeed. Does that mean that *I* should immediately cease to use FreeBSD and
buy Windows XP? Nope, because popularity is not in my list of requirements,
and the low popularity of unix versus windows on the desktop is not affecting
what it can already do for me, which is everything I need and then some.

> > Just like there are environments where Unix
> > isn't the logical choice for a server because it
> > fails to meet a variety of requirements, there
> > are also environments where Windows is not the
> > logical choice for a desktop.
>
> But they are a small minority of environments in both cases, and these
> exceptions do not invalidate the rule.

What bloody rule? The world is not black and white. If the majority
chooses strawberry flavor and a small minority raspberry, the rule is
still that people make different choices, not that people choose
strawberry flavor as a rule but there are some weirdos that prefer
raspberry. Is that concept so hard to grasp?

Clearly you selected to use Windows, and I selected to use FreeBSD.
Apparently you are happy with your decision, and trust me, I am happy
with mine. I am happy that you are happy with your decision and I am
not trying to convince you that your choice is wrong, because it most
likely is not, for you. However, you are trying to convince me that I
am wrong, and that FreeBSD is a poor choice and we are some kind of
weird, microsoft-bashing unix-loving bigots or something. This is where
you are mistaken.

Frankly, I couldn't care less what you or anyone else is using, unless
I have a contractual agreement to support it. It is you that for some
reason cannot accept the FACT that some people might have valid reasons
to use something other than what you and apparently the majority of
people out there, has chosen.

--kkonstan