Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 02:12:09 +0100
From:      Raf Schietekat <sky92136@skynet.be>
To:        Siegbert Baude <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kdm op 4.4-R

Siegbert Baude wrote:

>[...]

> Edit /etc/ttys to make the line with xdm look like:
>
> ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure
>
> Note: not kdmdesktop!

Oops!

> Then do a:
> kill -1 1
> to make init reread its config file. kdm should then start
> automagically.

Nope. And I did kill xdm.

> If this doesn't work, switch back to the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), in the

Aha, this was also something I was looking for, thanks for the tip!

> above line change back "on" to "off", and kill -1 1 again. Kill any
> eventually running kdm instances by hand.
>
> To sort things out, you were able to "startkde" from the console both as
> normal user and as root? Were there any error messages?

I have startkde in both .xsession and .xinitrc, as root and as normal
user. In both cases I can do startx, no error messages, and I get the
KDE desktop. If I do startkde from the console as root, X is not
started, and a list of errors is shown, the first one being:
xsetroot:  unable to open display ''

> Next as root try "kdm -nodaemon" from the console. Are there any error
> messages?

desktop# kdm -nodaemon
[time, host] kdm[3182]: Cannot open access control file
/usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xaccess, no XDMCP requeusts [sic] will be
granted
[time, host] kdm[3182]: cannot access servers file
/usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xservers

[X is not started]

desktop# ls /usr/local/share/config/kdm
kdmrc
desktop# cd /usr/local/share/config/kdm
desktop# cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers Xservers
desktop# kdm -nodaemon
[aha, login window appears... but login fails, Ctrl-Alt-F1]
[several error messages about Xaccess, Xsetup, Xstartup, Xreset, Ctrl-C]
^Cdesktop# cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess Xaccess
desktop# cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 Xsetup
desktop# cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession Xstartup
desktop# echo > Xreset
[ee Xstartup to contain a line for KDE]
desktop# kdm -nodaemon
[can log in fine, Sound server error looks different than the message I
normally get, but that's another issue]
[when I log out, the screen is black with a % shell in the upper left
hand corner, and xconsole in the lower right, I type exit, I get kdm,
Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-C]
^Cdesktop# echo "/usr/local/bin/kdm/desktop" > Xsetup
[now I have a background, although there are a few seconds of delay each
time, I go out of X, ee /etc/ttys to enable kdm from there, kill -HUP 1,
still works fine, but I still get the % shell where I have to type exit

>[...]
> Hope I didn't forget another thing this time.

Basically, the Ctrl-Alt-F? and kdm instead of kdmdesktop and being able
to start kdm from the console (otherwise I would have thought it was
basically an /etc/ttys thing and given up right away when it didn't
work) were the key clues. Unless you also know how to get rid of the
lingering % shell at logout time?

> Ciao
> Siegbert

Thanks, your message made all the difference! Now it would probably be
useful to adapt the Handbook for the next neophyte who comes along
(e.g., I just inferred that Xsetup_0 is now Xsetup, and that Xsession is
now Xstartup, but I've never read that anywhere, and kcontrol not
working as su root is also quite interesting). I'll go bother
doc@freebsd.org some more.

>[...]

No, hold the presses, now I've got another problem, which some system
administrators may frown upon... ;-) When I log in into KDE as my
ordinary-user(-though-member-of-wheel) identity, I get my session back
as I left it, but when I start up a Konsole (I was going to give the su
root kcontrol another try), I notice that I am... root! Right at the
prompt greeting me when the window pops up, no su or anything!
# whoami
root
# pwd
/usr/home/rfschtkt