Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:04:43 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for review: getcontext, setcontext, etc

Bruce Evans wrote:

> > > The set of such proper reports is null, so it is easily generated by not
> > > using fsave (sic) or frstor.
> >
> > Huh?  Are you saying that there are *NO* floating-point exceptions that
> > should be reported to a process?  Doesn't posix require that exceptions
> > be thrown.
>
> I'm not saying any more, since I have made negative progress attempting
> to explain this.

In other words, SIGFPE is about as trappable as SIGBUS or SIGILL,
and means about the same thing: an unrecoverable fault.

If you think about it a little, since you can't guarantee delivery
of signals to particular threads anyway, it makes sense that SIGFPE
would not be useful under any circumstances in threaded programs,
no matter how you sliced it.

-- Terry