Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:06:12 -0500
From:      Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki.okada@windriver.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        tadayuki@mediaone.net, mi@aldan.algebra.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> >> Yes. But Mikhail doesn't talk about this. And it's possible with his
> >> proposal too. We already have/generate dependency information in/for
> >> the INDEX, so we just can use it to determine the ports which need an
> >> PORTREVISION bump.
> > Please send a patch or new utility which does this.
>
> It isn't common practice to bump the revision of dependand ports, see
> below, so there isn't the need for such a tool at the moment.
So you ignore Porter's Handbook?

> >> Yes. That's true. But this isn't common practice. The actual common
> >> practice is to not increment the PORTREVISION if a library increments
> >> its version number (and you've got an explanation why).
> > Who said the actual common practice is not to bump PORTREVISION?
>
> Sorry, I wanted to say: "If portA depends on portB and portB got a
> PORTREVISION increment, then it is not common practice to also increment
> the PORTREVISION of portA."
I've never said port A's PORTREVISION needs to be bumped when
port B's *PORTREVISION* is bumped. Please check the context again.

> At least I have _not_ seen a PORTREVISION bump on a lot of gnome* ports
> at the time the library version of libpng changed (and I had to
> recompile a lot of gnome* ports to get my custom widget background
> back).
You don't need to bump PORTREVISION if a port depends on a shlib
indirectly. Assume the dependency is port A -> port B -> port C,
then port C's shlib major version is increased, port B needs
PORTREVISION bump, but as long as port B is binary compatible with
the previous version, port A doesn't need PORTREVISION bump.

I don't know about gnome case. Please ask sobomax if you think
it's not bumping PORTREVISION correctly.

And please read Porter's Handbook, it states when you need PORTREVISON bump.

> And Mikhail's proposal is independend from this. It is not mutually
> exclusive, so I don't see the problem you have with the proposal.
>
> >> And even if we decide to increment the PORTREVISION this isn't really a
> >> strong argument as I already explained above.
> > pkg_version is in the base system. portversion is part of portupgrade which
> > is very popular tool these days.
> > We don't have any tool other than these to detect which port to upgrade.
>
> Sorry, I wanted to say: "If we decide to accept Mikhail's proposal, we
> have the possibility to determine which port needs a PORTREVISION bump
> just by looking at the dependency information."
That's a possibility. Not the current implementation.
The proposal is incomplete without the utility side changes.

> Makhail's proposal doesn't change any run time behavior. It only changes
> the compile time behavior if there are outdated ports installed. This
> doesn't affect official packages.
As I said, it breaks user side update process.
How does a user know when package A is rebuilt with updated package B
which bumps shlib major version and may include critical bug fixes
without port A's PORTREVISION bump?

> The proposal is only benefical for a small part of the userbase, e.g.
> for every ports commiter who knows what he does. "Joe User", which uses
> official packages, is not affected.
So you don't care about ports user?

> > Unless we have other tool to do this, we should keep ports complient with
> > these tools.
>
> Mikhail's proposal doesn't break them.
Yes, it does.

--