Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 05:34:20 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.cc>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adding support for a global src tree serial number

"Jacques A. Vidrine" wrote:
> = The serial number could be the MD5 of the source tree from which the
>   system was compiled:
>     tar -C /usr/src --exclude CVS -cf - . | md5
>   I'm currently running 4.5-RELEASE build 10c5be07ecd40c66fc126dd57afd934c.

Uh... are you sure a cryptographic hash of the source
you have is going to give enough information for a
kernel hacker to recreate the binaries that are causing
the problem that resulted in the bug report?

I guess I could just check out by second since the start
of the source tree, until the hashes matched?

-- Terry