Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 23:30:00 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: in-kernel HTTP Server for FreeBSD?
References:  <20020217143343.41758.qmail@web21104.mail.yahoo.com> <xzp4rkgf7n7.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> <20020217163045.GB90303@voi.aagh.net> <3C703089.AD03554B@mindspring.com> <018501c1b816$2a9cb970$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <3C705564.E1EA2FDA@mindspring.com> <001c01c1b859$6ee18c80$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <3C70E8B2.168D9F56@mindspring.com> <010101c1b87a$10707190$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <3C7146A9.931F07EF@mindspring.com> <00a601c1b8ac$426670a0$0a00000a@atkielski.com>

Normally, I do not take people apart in public forums; consider
yourself blessed.

#1: Anthony stating that IIS required a web based interface,
    denying the existance of other interfaces.

Anthony Atkielski:
] I've never cared for anything that must be managed via HTTP.
] That's one reason why I don't like IIS.

#2: Anthony back tracking on his statement #1, when caught in
	  an overgeneralization.

Anthony Atkielski:
] Some products _must_ be managed that way.  IIS requires either a Web-based
] interface or a GUI interface.  I'm not aware of any text interface to the
] product.

#3: Anthony admitting that he's aware of the text interface he
    claims ignorance of n statement #2, and denies the existance
    of in statement #1.

Anthony Atkielski:
] If you can configure IIS from the command line with regedit, you have the
] patience of a saint.  Just sifting through GUIDs takes all day, and that's
] _with_ documentation.

Johan von Schiller, pointing out the flaw Anthony's dismissal:

	"Only those who have the patience to do simple things
	 perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things
	 easily." -- Johann von Schiller

---

> > I personally don't think they exist.  I'm
> > questioning your implied premise here.
>
> It was your inference, not my implication.

Evidence that this it was Anthony's implied premise:

Anthony Atkielski:
] If the machine is not dedicated to HTTP, putting such functions in the
] kernel unnecessarily complicates and destabilizes the kernel.

Anthony Atkielski:
] All else being equal, more code equals more instability.

---

Anthony's claim that he's writen some of the Computer Science
literature:

Anthony Atkielski:
] Some computer-science literature was written by me.  Does the fact that I
] put pen to paper guarantee that anything I write is fact?

NEC disagreeing with Anthony:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs?q=Atkielski&submit=Search+Documents&cs=1

Without peer review, it's unlikely to be other than opinion.

---

> If you want to substantiate your opinions, start with axioms accepted by all
> and reason forward from there.  Citations are valueless.

Sir Issac Newton disagreeing with Anthony's opinion on citations:

	"If I have been able to see further, it was only because
	 I stood on the shoulders of giants." -- Sir Issac Newton

William of Occam disagreeing with the need to return to first
principles for everything:

	"Entities ought not to be multiplied, except from necessity."
		-- William of Occam

Ralph W. Sockman suggesting the need to be able to learn from
others, rather than having to derive everythinbg yourself:

	"The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline
	 of wonder." -- Ralph W. Sockman

Ivan Pavlov, on the accumulation of knowledge in general:

	"Gradualness, gradualness, and gradualness. From the very
	 beginning of your work, school yourself to severe
	 gradualness in the accumulation of knowledge."
		-- Ivan Pavlov

Samuel Johnson, on the use of references:

	"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves,
	or we know where we can find information on it."
		-- Samuel Johnson

-- Terry