Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2014 13:40:22 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SuperMicro IPMI/SOL and ipmitool troubles

On Nov 11, 2014, at 12:30 PM, Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>=20
> I'm trying to set up sol console for supermicro servers, reading some =
documents

Aye, and there's the rub: I've found that the COM port that SOL uses=20
varies across different Supermicro server models, and the BIOS support=20=

for assigning or determining the COM port differs (or is sometimes=20
nonexistent) between those servers. :-(

I recently spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why SOL was=20
not working on a particular Supermicro server and it turned out to be=20
that the COM port differed to those I'd used in previous setups.

> =20
> including TestClusterOne, mainly:
>=20
>> For serial redirection to work, in the BIOS you need to redirect to =
com port=20
>> B and in /boot/device.hints you need hint.uart.1.flags=3D"0x10" and =
enable getty on=20
>> cuau1=20
>=20
> I can see BIOS screen ok; boot1/2 and boot/loader work fine also.  =
However, I=20
> could not see kernel console output via SOL, neither getty on ttyu1 =
works.
> I tried different speeds, std vs 3wire, explicitely set =
console=3Dcomconsole=20
> vidconsole -- no luck.
>=20
> I even trued to use `ipmitool sol activate' on one side and `tip =
-115200 com2'=20
> on the other -- stiil no data between.
>=20
> Any hints?

In my trial and error, I've found that assigning the correct COM port=20
is usually the thing that gets it working.  That comes down to the=20
correct "comconsole_port" setting in /boot/loader.conf.

Here is what I put into /boot/loader.conf for serial/VGA console=20
support on my servers:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

#
# System console support: uncomment only one "console=3D..." line below
#
# Speed and port for serial console
comconsole_speed=3D115200
comconsole_port=3D0x2F8
# Uncomment below to enable only serial console
#console=3D"comconsole"
# Uncomment below to enable only VGA console
#console=3D"vidconsole"
# Uncomment below to enable VGA and serial consoles (preference to VGA)
#console=3D"vidconsole,comconsole"
# Uncomment below to enable serial and VGA consoles (preference to =
serial)
console=3D"comconsole,vidconsole"
boot_multicons=3D"YES"

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

On the above particular system, SOL is on COM2, i.e.,=20
"comconsole_port=3D0x2F8".  On two other servers, though, SOL is on =
COM3,=20
i.e., "comconsole_port=3D0x3E8".

Here are the settings for different COM ports:

COM1 (ttyu0): comconsole_port=3D0x3F8
COM2 (ttyu1): comconsole_port=3D0x2F8
COM3 (ttyu2): comconsole_port=3D0x3E8
COM4 (ttyu3): comconsole_port=3D0x2E8

Note that the /boot/loader.conf settings are all you need; there's no=20
need for entries in /boot/device.hints and the likes.  It can all be=20
set in /boot/loader.conf, at least on FreeBSD 9.3 and FreeBSD 10, which=20=

I'm using.

Once you've set up /boot/loader.conf, and assuming you have at least=20
comconsole output enabled, you'll see BIOS and boot messages.  To get a=20=

login, you also need to enable the corresponding ttyuX in /etc/ttys. =20
I've found that onifconsole works in 9.3; I'm not sure about 10.0, so=20
you might need to use "on" there.  (Onifconsole appears to work in the=20=

10.1 release candidates.)

Note, that kernel console output appears to go both to the comconsole=20
and vidconsole in a boot_multicons=3D"YES" setup, but other console=20
output (like system startup messages, etc.), goes only to the first one=20=

specified.  E.g., if you have console=3D"comconsole,vidconsole" in=20
/boot/loader.conf then you'll see some, but not all, console output on=20=

the vidconsole.  (You'll see all of it on the comconsole.)

I hope this helps, because I wasted almost a whole afternoon trying to=20=

figure out how to get SOL working on one Supermicro server last month.=20=

:-(

Cheers,

Paul.=