Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 13:45:10 -0700
From:      rick norman <rick.norman@lmco.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw and aliases

I'm probably giving too little detail.  Basically I'm configuring bsd 4.5
as an intermediate node router in a fairly complex topology.  The different
aliases on an interface allow me to take different paths through this topology
based on the subnets.  What I want to do is apply different characteristics
to multiple data streams based on the subnet they take leaving my router.
The pkt only has src and des ip which says nothing about the path the routing
protocols have picked.  The rules that I see available in the ipfw would catch
all the aliases leaving on an interface with no differentiation.  It seems that
another key word, similar to the 'via' qualifier would allow me to individually
grab the outbound aliases.  The needed info is available in the routing table
in the form of the next hop router, I just don't see a way to grab a pkt based
on the next hop address or the outbound subnet.
Rick