Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 14:24:08 -0700
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@dccnet.com>
To:        ecerejo@zapo.net
Cc:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade XFree86-3.3.6? to XFree86-4.X

E.J.Cerejo wrote:
> If you installed using sysinstall then it should be as a distro, use sysinstall again to remove it, just take the check mark out of xfree86 and everything related to it and it should remove it.
>
> I recomend you update your ports first using cvsup and then run pkg_version -c > do_update and this will tell you what needs updating in your machine.  It will create a file "do_update" after you run the above command and it will tell what needs to be updated.  Make sure that XFree86 dependencies are also updated or might end up with two different versions installed.

I differ on this point.  If you select to install X Windows during the
binary selection (as shown by one of the ones indicated by the "X"
below), this does not add the anything to /var/db/pkg.  Only if you
select to add XFree86 after the binary installation does the packages
database gget updated.  As I said this does appear to be changing for
4.6-RELEASE.

pkg_manager has no way of uninstalling X windows if you install it as a
distro.

[ ] 4 Developer         Full sources, binaries and doc but no games
[X] 5 X-Developer       Same as above + X Window System
   [ ] 6 Kern-Developer    Full binaries and doc, kernel sources only

[X] 7 X-Kern-Developer  Same as above + X Window System
[ ] 8 User              Average user - binaries and doc only
[X] 9 X-User            Same as above + X Window System
[ ] A Minimal           The smallest configuration possible

cont'd>

>>Subject: Re: Upgrade XFree86-3.3.6? to XFree86-4.X
>>  From: "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
>>  Date: 18 May 2002 21:18:18 +0100
>>    To: "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@dccnet.com>, ecerejo@zapo.net, kstewart@owt.com
>>    Cc: FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>>

>>--=-7ekz47niJABAI3B8eILc
>>
>>Thank you all for your replies!
>>

>>From what I've gathered here, there's definitely some consideration to
>
>>this after all.
>>
>>XFree86-3.3.6 was installed during installation via /stand/sysinstall,
>>so that means that its there as a distribution (right?). Does this
>>really mean performing:
>>1] rm -rf on /usr/XFree84*
>>2] Re-build all ports that depend on XFree86
>>
>>Say it ain't so!
>>
>>Stacey

Unless you can gather enough information before the upgrade to remove
any binaries/files/libraries from the old installation.

I suppose another possibility would be to use pkg_add to install 3.3.6
to update pkg's database and use then use portupgrade from the ports
collection to upgrade to XFree86-4.