Date:      Mon, 01 Jul 2002 11:27:21 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: Fate of /usr/share/doc/smm/10.named

Robert Watson wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
> > On 2002-06-30 23:44 +0000, Doug Barton wrote:
> > > To fix the build, I removed 10.named from the smm/Makefile temporarily.
> > > I'd like to permanently remove it, since IMO it's no longer pertinent.
> > > Opinions?
> >
> > There are other documents in /usr/share/doc/smm that are kept there only
> > for their historical value, since they no longer describe what is done
> > today.  One example, that I could find by looking at the ascii output I
> > keep in my /usr/share/doc, is 01.setup/paper.ascii.gz.  Is it really
> > necessary to remove 10.named?
>
> I think keeping things for historical reasons is a useful thing to do, but
> that installing them in the default install is definitely not a useful
> thing to do since it will only lead to confusion.

I agree with this reasoning, and also with keeping them around
"somewhere." The BOG is a particularly good candidate for pruning since
it's still available from the vendor.

Yesterday I sent a proposal for a project to -doc to document what all
those old things in /usr/share/doc are, and how to use them. Perhaps we
need to modify that project to include, "Identify what's still useful,
and archive the rest on the web site?"

Doug