Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:42:26 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, louie@TransSys.COM, listsub@rambo.simx.org, leifn@neland.dk
Subject:   Re: Mail subsystem defaults, adding authentication.

Leo Bicknell wrote:
> So, I would like comments on the following issues:
>
> 1) Is it desirable to provide a default install for which SMTP AUTH
>    against the password file works?

Yes.  But it's not possible without destorying the ablity of
the default install to run over port 25.  The contents of the
crypt-encrypted password are one-way hashed with an externally
unrecoverable salt.  The net effect of this is that you can not
use crypt-based passwords unless they are encrypted for
comparison on the server -- which means passing them over the
wire as plaintext.   You *force* the use of SSL, if this is
enabled.

> 2) If yes to #1, is including the cyrus-sasl port in the base
>    distribution the best way to get a SASL library?  [Included
>    in this is license issues, code quality issues, etc.]  If it
>    is not the best, is there a better choice?

You would have to use SMTP over SSL, *NOT* "STARTTLS", and then
enforce its use if "SMTP AUTH" is to be used, to make sending
passwords in the clear acceptable due to the secure link.

You are almost better off simply using SMTP over SSL, and
permitting connections only to certificated clients, at which
point you can just sign the client certificates and be done
with it, without using the "SMTP AUTH" approach at all.

An alternate approach would be to use the crypted passwords,
with the salt being passed as apart of the SASL dialog, so the
crypted password could be passed.  This would be less painful,
overall, for the server (clients outnumber servers by a large
margin), but... it would require client modification, and the
definition of an "x-crypt" authentication type (and/or a full
RFC process to define it without the "-x").

The OpenLDAP list archives are quire extensive on this subject,
as are the Cyrus list archives, and the Sendmail list archives,
where there has been a similar desire to use the standard UNIX
authentication mechanism with SASL.

PAM has the same problem, if it's any consolation.

-- Terry