Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:29:11 -0700
From:      James Wu <jameswu@softhome.net>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sis(4) driver error with NetGearFA311

Stacey Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 01:46, James Wu wrote:
>>I'm a FreeBSD newbie who have attempted the installation of 4.5 a year
>>ago when I received problems with my NetGear FA311 (National
>>Semiconductor).
-snip-
> Hi James,
>    I've never tried installation with floppies, but I've been using a
> Netgear FA311 on a machine here since 4.3 Rel, installed via 4 CD-ROM
> Set - now running 4.7 Stable.
>>sis0: <NatSemi DP83815 10/100BaseTX> at device 13.0 on pci1
>>sis0: couldn't map ports/memory
>>device_probe_and_attach: sis0 attach returned 6
-snip-
>>And according to Diagnostics in the documentation "sis%d: couldn't map
>>ports/memory [indicates] a fatal initialization error has occurred.", I
>>think it's my error in configuring.
-snip-
> Might actually be an IRQ conflict there, try (if you've got a spare)
> shuffling the card along your available PCI slots to see if it gets
> mapped properly somewhere else.
There are only two slots, one for the modem and one for the card
> Make sure that you've got the bios settings for P 'n P OS toggled to
> "NO" / "DISABLED" as well.
I've checked the BIOs... HP's very restrictive on its childproof BIOS -
nothing critical shows up...
> You didn't mention whether or not the nic is "onboard" or PCI, but did
> it actually ever work under another OS? As far as the installation goes,
> if this is the only nic you've got in the box, you'd just have to
> disable the other drivers that appear in the list of conflicts, leaving
> the sis driver only.
It's PCI, works perfectly under Windows ME, and it is the only nic I
have; however the sis driver seems to be not on the list of drivers
(driver selection, graphical mode); instead it seems to be detected
independently, for a year ago the same person who informed me to install
from CD also told me to uncheck/delete all drivers in the list and the
sis would be detected normally... please enlighten me if it is otherwise.
-snip-