Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:50:52 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        JacobRhoden <jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GCC as a selling point for FreeBSD? (Not!)

JacobRhoden wrote:
> Just a thought, but considering that TenDRA compiles to an intermediatory
> 'platform independant' stage (ie like java) would it be wise to write an
> operating system in this language? for a start, i could imagine that it would
> always take longer to compile. and I guess (has someone already said this)
> that you could not use in-line asm in such a language (or am i wrong?).

TenDRA is a "quad" compiler; it compiles to a quad tree, and then
you post-process that into a particular assembly language using a
back-end.

It's fairly easy to implement inline assembly in this context:
just create a non-associative, non-commutative quad that causes
the back-end translator to emit the strings unmodified for input
to the assembler.

As far as time to compile, it's no worse an increase in overhead
than FreeBSD ate moving to the new GCC and binutils in 5.x, I
think.  In any case, if you get people working on the code, you
will get things that bother the people working on it fixed in
fairly short order, I believe.

-- Terry