Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:09:36 +0100
From:      "deeptech71@gmail.com" <deeptech71@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD anti-competitive activities

Well, well. Who would have thought that the FreeBSD Team would decide
to implement a hack that would block booting of any Windows-like, and
possibly other non-FreeBSD based operating environments?

Just as soon as FreeBSD 8.0 came out, I downloaded a boot-only disc
image and went off to reinstall FreeBSD (don't ask why). OK, it worked
whatsoever. But as it turns out, I wasn't able to boot my Windows XP
installation anymore. The system just froze when I tried booting my
Windows XP slice. First I thought that the installation damaged the
other partitions (someone added buggy code in sysinstall lately?). At
that point I didn't dare to boot anything on the disk. I decided to
give a try to Hiren's Boot CD, which has loads of warezed
slicing/partitioning, recovery and backup tools, and also a loadable
Mini Windows XP. I hoped I would be able to find out what happened.

But guess what? Neither of the Boot CD tools were able to start up,
not even the Mini Windows XP! They all froze just like my Windows XP.
But that's just weird. On a whim, I disabled my disk drive in the BIOS
settings. And guess what? Both the Mini Windows XP and the tools were
able to start because of that. I was able to read the
slices/partitions with them, and noticed that all my files on the
FAT32 and NTFS slices were intact.

So I continued to use only FreeBSD. It didn't hinder me (much), maybe
FreeBSD as a desktop system was bit of a nuisance for some things I
used to do only on Windows, but I got used to it later. So I can say
that this facilitated (well, forced) a switch to using FreeBSD as a
desktop system.

Despite that I lost the ability to boot XP from my disk, I'm happy
with the switch, and that is all that matters. :D

=========================

OK, seriously.

sysinstall asked something new when I installed 8.0, something like
"It is safe to use a disk geometry of 123/45/6789 on modern
computers... Would you like to use this disk geometry?", I chose
"Yes". Safe my ass. I guess my computer doesn't fit in sysinstall's
definition of "modern".

But how can this destroy Windows apps? I mean FreeBSD works just fine,
and can read everything from the FAT32 and NTFS partitions. So what
does Windows stuff suck at? Should the disk geometry proposed in
sysintall work according to some standard, but yet it doesn't, because
Windows stuff is buggy? Or is it non-standard but, uniquely, FreeBSD
works with it?

Or is it something totally different?