Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 1998 19:08:53 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

At 11:36 AM 9/30/98 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>[ Brett, how can I say this.  Knock it off with the bloody cross-posts
> already!  I keep saying it and you keep ignoring it and it's annoying
> since there's *no need* for both -chat and -advocacy....

The reason why I cross-posted is that advocacy is very undersubscribed,
so posting such messages to it alone doesn't reach everyone who might
be interested in the topic.

>Um, waitaminute here.  I feel like the conversation has suddenly
>veered in an unexpected direction, like a sugar-charged 4 year old
>left imprudently unwatched.

I don't think so. Every announcement of Linux advocacy and support
by a major vendor leaves FreeBSD increasingly in the dust.

>I dunno, but it really looks from my angle like you're trying
>extremely hard to see defeat where demonstrable progress exists
>and I find that hard to fathom.

Every time a major vendor supports Linux without also supporting
FreeBSD, it's a defeat. A major one. And the rate of those defeats
is accelerating daily.

>> Worse still, Walnut Creek seems to be doing just about ZIP to promote
>> FreeBSD, in the face of a groundswell of publicity for Linux. It
>> had the chance to be Red Hat before Red Hat existed, and blew it
>
>Not only is this patently untrue, and you'll see some of the more
>visible results of Walnut Creek's continuing investments in FreeBSD
>over the next few months (many of their investments being far less
>visible but no less important), but saying that they had a chance to
>be "Red Hat" honestly simplifies the actual course of events beyond
>all reason.

We can argue over how much it "simplifies" things, but it's nonetheless
so. I don't see FreeBSD getting 1/100th the advertising, advocacy, and
other vital market support from Walnut Creek that Linux gets from Red
Hat alone (forgetting Caldera, Corel, and others for the moment).

>Nice rhetoric - I especially like the football analogy at the end
>there.  Rah rah.  Go team.  It's also surprisingly apt since I find
>this kind of advocacy about as useful as a football cheer from the
>stands - it conveys a certain degree of concern for the outcome of the
>play, agreed, but it also suggests nothing more specific than the fact
>that winning would probably be a really popular move on my part.

I've made a specific suggestion: Pick up the fumble. Denying that there
has BEEN a fumble does no good when the ball is rolling loose on the
ground.

>That one dirty little word we haven't mentioned yet, however, and the
>one I think you've conveniently overlooked in all of your brum and
>bluster is: "Logistics."  Start coming up with some decent plans for
>growing new structures within the project without killing it in the
>process and you'll have a lot more of my attention than you're getting
>with this kind of fiery pulpit-pounding.

Well, I'm afraid that right now the initiative lies with your employer,
Walnut Creek. The only other option besides promotion, advocacy, and
support from that company is to create a split in the market by
introducing another vendor.

--Brett