Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:24:16 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This just in: Microsoft/Sears Merger

At 04:58 PM 12/23/98 +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

>NetWare found it's core with UnixWare and NetWare, they decided upon some
>integration prior to selling off UnixWare to SCO. The lamest thing is that
>Novell
>is still so close to DOS that even NLMs (NetWare Loadable Modules) are still
>8.3
>fixed. Also, despite it's multitasking/multithreading model it doesn't have a
>kill equivalent command.

Novell's NLM's are located in the FAT partition if I remember right, of
which it executes from.  so C:\NWSERVER would be where they are.  Perhaps
THAT hsa to do with the 8.3 fixed.

>OK, weird story...
>
>I used to hack away as a kid on a Commodore 64 back in the old days. When
>the rest
>of the world started to use PC's, I stuck to 95% Amiga and 5% Apple. Windows
>(2.x/3.x) sucked in those days compared to these two.

With me it was age 3 with the Commodore.. Then the Mac age (hm that was 7
years ago maybe), then the Windows age (about 6 years ago), and the FreeBSD
age (and AIX, and a few others) (about 4 years ago).. Rather interesting
timeline when I look back at it.  Never indulged into the Amiga strata though.

>And Novell is the NOS that's pre-dominant in our national network (thank
>god). I
>have seen the NT boxen being used for out intranet and it ain't pretty. The
>Apache server on freebee surpasses it by a factor 4. I have to say that
aNovell
>rocks when it's not using SAP/RIP, especially not with a WAN like ours
(450-500
>servers).

Microsoft was going to move Hotmail over to NT but found that it couldn't
handle the haul.  As it goes I think Windows has a 'socket limit' as far as
how many open connections it can have inbound or outbound.  Pretty inane if
you ask me.

As it goes, my PII-333 I have running NT 4 Workstation (to do Netscape
Messaging Server and Proxy Server) takes forever in a day to boot up, let
alone do anything.  This is not a good thing since it has 128MB in it.

The PII-333 I have running FreeBSD is vastly faster, running 20 virtual web
servers under Apache, lots of code I'm working on, things like that.  It
only has 32mb, but beats the hell out of the NT machine, even in bootup..

The point is clear, something Free is effectively better for playing
intra/internet server than Windows.. The problem is, trying to convince
people of that.  Would appear that Whistle has kinda a cool idea on
dropping people onto the net using a BSD base.  Some more technologies like
this, perhaps a company that develops an overdramatized X interface and web
interface for management, would take the command line out of FreeBSD, for
those who are frightened to try something different than the Microsoft
Bandwagon..

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D