Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 07:18:26 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: subsequent package install of XFree86 under 3.3.3?

At 27/09/99, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>I had a machine with a minimal 2.2.8 install on it, and I wanted to practice
>doing an upgrade from local 3.3.3 sources.  I did it, and it seems to have
>worked.  There was no X installed on the box.
>
>Now I want to install X on it, from the 3.3.3 CDroms that recently arrived.
>
>What incantations do I use to do this?
>
>The "Custom" install simply loops between the custom install screen and the
>media page.  If I use the Index and select the parts I want, the Commit
>doesn't find anything.
>
>I can't run the "extract" program from the XFree86 subdir because it's an
>executable and the eXecute bit isn't set.
>
>I haven't found anything in the docs on the CD, either.

I think you have to install it as a port...
On the 3.2 cdrom (my subscription is not arrived yet so I can't say how 3.3
cdroms are organized...)
mount the cdrom 4 (the ones with all distfiles) , then

cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
make install && make clean

If you don't have the /usr/ports/ populated in your HD you have to take the
tree from the cdrom .
Be sure to have mounted the cdrom with distfiles if you want to avoid a big
download.

Hope it helps...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it