Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:07:17 -0500
From:      Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
To:        "Marius Kirschner" <marius@agoron.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: .htaccess

         Ok, my turn to put in my 2cents and help out here.  :)

         I'm no apache guru on this, but I've done my time around the
block.  If I'm wrong, someone back me up on this.  :)  Ok, is the website
www.virtualweb.com exist on another server and points to the
www.web.com/~joedoe/secure, or is it hosted on the same machine?  IF it's
on the same machine, you've got something setup in apache wrong that it's
trying to see a different .htaccess file.  If it's on a different machine,
it won't see the .htaccess file at all, so your efforts are pointless.  :)

         Now, on to the second thing.  You need the reference you have in
the .htaccess file in the secure directory in your .htaccess file in the
root directory.  You still need your other copy in the secure
directory.  I've had some situations where this was the only way it worked,
other times it worked like it should where the server looks at the
.htaccess file in the given directory access, but personally I've only
gotten the virtual web references to work if both the root web, in this
case www.web.com/joeuser/ and the /secure/ directories have the same info
in the .htaccess files.

         Another thing.  Sometimes apache doesn't like direct pathnames,
but instead will only work with references like "AuthUserFile
www.virtualweb.com/secure/.htpasswd"  Had to do that with one of my error
documents onetime.  Try these ideas.  And when you go hacking your
.htaccess, remember to make a backup so if you toast something, you got an
original to backup on.  Learned that one the hard way too.  :)  Always
backup any file you plan to edit, no matter how insignificant.  hehe.