Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 21:34:16 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: how to find/install BIND 8.2.2p5 binary on 3.2-R ?

>As I believe I stated earlier, you have to run /usr/local/sbin/named
>because that where version 8.2.2p5 resides if you install it from the
>ports collection (and from a package also, I assume). Son't forget to
>change your /etc/rc.conf file to reflect the change.

all I've got in rc.conf is

named_enable="YES"   so how do I change that to point at the itinerant
8.2.2.p5 named? I've got to write my own script to start 8.2.2.p5 after a
pkg_add?

btw, I ftp'd ports/packages/bind-8.2.2.p5.tgz as you said, "pkg_add -v" at
it and it seemd to run to completion with no errors.  but querying that
machine for version.bind. still returned 8.1.2.  I rebooted the machine,
still 8.1.2.

If I can find where 8.2.2.p5 named is (I killed named and ran the named from
/usr/local/sbin and that is still announces itself as 8.1.2.), do I and why
should I have to diddle a startup script after installing a binary pkg?  I
thought the pkg's were supposed to "1 minute" installs, according to Lehey
book.

This is way too confused, but I can't see where I screwed up and nothing
seems to unscrew me.

So how/where would I rm all named stuff from the machine and start fresh
with yr

"pkg_add -v bind-8.2.2.p5.tgz"

Thanks anyway,
Len