Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 20:10:41 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: envy.vuurwerk.nl daily run output

At 01:56 PM 5/10/00 -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:
>This just got me thinking... are .ssh/authorized_keys files checked for
>changes by the security scripts?  I know I probably wouldn't notice for a
>long while if someone had modified mine, all the time during which someone
>could be playing around on the box.

You could always force the ownership of .ssh/ and any files under it to
root.  This adds some administrative overhead, but then to change
authorized_keys they already have root and you have a bigger fish to fry.

The only that needed to change for openssh is the file permissions.  With
ssh from ports the .ssh directory and files could be owned by root with the
same group as the user:

.ssh/ root:<user's group> mode 510
.ssh/authorized_keys root:<user's group> mode 440

With openssh in the bases system the modes must be 511 and 444 in order for
RSA authentication to work in contradiction with the suggestions in sshd(8).

In any case you can make it more difficult.  Combining chflags and the
secure level would make it even harder, but then you have an administrative
nightmare to modify existing files.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve