Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:23:59 +1000
From:      David Burns <david.burns@dugeem.net>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   fast ethernet driver MII phy serial clock rates

Hello all,

It appears that quite a few of the "el cheapo" hardware Fast Ethernet
drivers (at least rl, sis, ste, vr, wb - these are just the ones I found
in /usr/src/sys/pci) have added DELAY(1) statements around MII serial
clock ops which will result in a max Management Data Clock (MDC)
frequency of 500kHz for the serial management interface. Which means
that a mii_readreg (or writereg) operation will take a minimum of 128?s
(64?s for mii_sync + 64?s for data read/write). During which time the
driver is locked.

NB this assumes that a DELAY(1) is really a delay of 1?s! Which I don't
think it is ... :-(

However many Fast Ethernet (ie 100Mb/s) PHYs appear to specify a maximum
MDC rate of 2.5MHz.

Whilst at first this appears harmless - the mii_readreg & mii_writereg
routines are periodically called by MII bus functions every second:
- With autoneg on there are around 7 mii register ops (0.9ms total)
- With autoneg off there are around 3 mii register ops (0.4ms total)

The serial management access bits are set/cleared via various macros
(eg. CLRBIT/SETBIT). Generally a clock bit operation consists of a
CSR_READ & CSR_WRITE which are of course PCI read & write operations
with minimum clock times of 4 cycles and 3 cycles respectively - or 210
nanoseconds per half cycle (@33MHz) which is a bit slower than 2.5MHz!
Of course this assumes PCI 33MHz - which is all this hardware will work
with.

So I'd like to propose that these DELAY() statements be removed if
testing results are okay. I believe this has already been done with the
xl driver some time ago...

For verification I made this change on the ste v1.58 driver and it
worked fine - and has resulted in 5-10% network performance
improvements. Next up I will test the vr driver.

If needs be I can open a PR for this but wanted some feedback first from
others who may have previously worked on the driver MII code.

David