Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:12:58 +0200
From:      cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Sean Dicks <seanyd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS server

Sean Dicks wrote:

>I am only using dns forwarding. I already have default values in
>/etc/resolv.conf from my ISP, do I have to add my 2 others and delete
>the ones from the ISP or just leave it as is. I registered the domain
>today when I "whois rimouski-undernet.org" I see right nameservers on
>it. Doesn't that mean it has propagated?

The WHOIS and DNS databases are distinct,
and not necessarily synchronized. You need
to wait until your domain is added to the .ORG
zone file of the master .ORG DNS Server
(that normally happens every 12 hours from the
PIR registry, IIRC [I can be wrong here!]). It can
then take up to 72 hours to propagate to the other
.ORG DNS slaves, and also to your ISPs DNS servers.

Just give it some time to propagate.

% dig rimouski-undernet.org

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> rimouski-undernet.org
;; res_nsend: Operation timed out

Yep, not yet visible here...

-cpghost.

--