Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:18:34 +0100
From:      Mark Cullen <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial console weirdness

Mark Cullen wrote:
> Artem Kazakov wrote:
>
>>Mark Cullen wrote:
>>

>>>Ok, I am having a bit of trouble setting up a serial console login. The
>>>cable is attached to com1, heres my /etc/ttys
>>>
>>># The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
>>>ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" dialup  on  secure
>>>

>>>Now, my problem is that when I do a kill -HUP 1 nothing happens; Well, I
>>>am sure something happens, it certainly doesn't start getty on that
>>>serial port though! However(!) when I start getty manually on that port:
>>>
>>>/usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyd0
>>>
>>>It promptly goes into the background and on my other machine I get the
>>>login prompt and all is well (until I logout as getty isn't being
>>>respawned). I didn't see anything logged as to why it's not working.
>>>
>>>I will mention that I yanked the (very very broken) graphics card out of
>>>that machine, so there's no ttyv's. Do I need to make the serial console
>>>my ... console/display for getty to start working again perhaps?
>>>
>>>Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>>probably you need to change dialup with something (like vt100) sutable
>>your enviroment
>>

> I have tried cons25, xterm and (now) vt100. It's not that...
>
> # Serial terminals
> # The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" cons25  on  secure
> ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
> # Dumb console
> dcons   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure
> # Pseudo terminals
> ttyp0   none                    network
> /etc/ttys: 307 lines, 7539 characters
> (root|bone)/home/mrboo# kill -HUP 1
> (root|bone)/home/mrboo# ps ax | grep getty
> 21134  p0  R+     0:00.02 grep getty
> (root|bone)/home/mrboo#
>
> Note: I have no getty processes as there's no graphics card, so I am
> guessing if it was working right I would start to see a:
>
> /usr/libexec/getty std.115200 ttyd0
>
> It appears in the process list (and works) when I run the above manually!

I'll reply to myself here.

I just now created /boot.config with -h, rebooted, and all is well. With
the added bonus of it being a serial console at the boot loader part. I
am impressed :)

Can't seem to get it to work with anything other than 9600 (even though
the process list shows std.115200), but it gives me some sort of of
display to work with during the boot process atleast :)

--
Internet Explorer? Try FireFox at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Outlook Express? Try ThunderBird at