Date:      Sat, 04 Dec 2004 13:42:32 -0800
From:      Sam Nilsson <sam@servingpeace.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make buildworld fails for 5-Stable cvsup'd today

Godwin Stewart wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:23:22 +0000, Stacey Roberts
> <stacey@vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
>

>>internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>

> Faulty RAM, maybe?
>
> A machine throwing a segfault is fairly characteristic of a CPU overheating
> and/or of a faulty RAM stick.

I'll chime in here (again!) and mention that I was having the same
problem yesterday trying to make buildworld (5.3 Release).

It turned out that one of my RAM modules was bad and the bios must not
have fully mapped out all of the bad parts. After removing the offending
memory module (through trial and error), freebsd is as stable as ever
and my builds went flawlessly.

So Godwin is probably right. It is probably bad RAM.

- Sam