Date:      Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:40:45 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ATA rman performance enhancement

Nate Lawson wrote:
> While doing some benchmarking of other code, I noticed that there were =
a=20
> lot of calls to rman_get_bustag/handle().  They weren't taking up much =

> actual time since they're pretty lightweight but seemed to be unnecessa=
ry.
>=20
> I worked up the attached diff and benchmarked it.  There are about 1000=
=20
> calls a second to the rman routines without this patch and essentially =

> none with it.  It makes about a 1% difference in throughput under some =

> IO loads.  It is only for non-Promise or non-SII controllers right now =

> since I didn't extend the initialization step to more than ata-pci.c.=20
> The same approach could be used for the other INW/OUTW calls as well bu=
t=20
> they're not in the fast path.  I think it may make more of a difference=
=20
> with small reads.
>=20
> Feel free to test, cleanup, and commit.

I had something semilar to this once back when, but since HW got lots=20
faster I couldn't measure it anymore, but maybe things has changed...

Anyhow it needs to be applied to ata-isa.c ata-card.c ata-cbus.c etc to=20
not break anything at least. I'll think about it and eventually do=20
something about it in ATA-mkIII if it really is mesureable again..

--=20

-S=F8ren