Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:23:22 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1119379853.e952b5@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting DNS from DHCP IP address

David Banning wrote:
> My problem is that the server I use for DNS keeps going dead.
>
> My ISP is most familiar with windows users who get their DNS
> automatically from their connection.  When my ISP gives me a good
> DNS server number, it seems to go dead six months later, and I have to
> call them again.

Yuck.  Ask them to set up DNS boxes which are not going to move.

> Is there a way to get DNS automatically, say from the DHCP connection IP
> address given to me? or, is there some great free DNS server that will
> stay in business for some time that I can plug into my resolv.conf?

DHCP will normally obtain DNS servers automaticly.  It's likely that you could
release and renew your lease ("dhclient -r", maybe?) and cause it to get new
DNS info if the old values are no longer working.

The other way would be to point to valid nameservers somewhere close, and use
those.  Doing a "whois yourisp.net" might give you some idea.

> I am in Toronto, Canada so I guess a DNS should be in reasonable proximity.

"Trawn-nah?"  :-)  Internet reachability matters more than physical location.

--
-Chuck