Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:44:49 +0200
From:      Heiner Strauss <heiner@bilch.com>
To:        Harti Brandt <harti@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switched virtual connection

Harti Brandt wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Heiner Strauss wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> HS>Im trying to set up a SVC directly to an atm edge switch (3Com SS II with an
> HS>ATM uplink modul). The host has FreeBSD 5.4 and a ForeRunner 155HE card. I
> HS>have 2 Questions:
> HS>
> HS>1. Which of the 3 ATM implementations do I have to use ?
>
> You should use the HARP stack (that is netatm) plus the hatm driver (that
> needs options atm) and the if_harp driver. Something like:
>
> natm_interfaces="hatm0"
>
> plus HARP configuration. See also rc.d/atm[123].
>
> HS>2. Do I need ATMARPD ?
>
> You should google around for HARP. There is somewhere documentation on the
> net. I think, that atmarpd is only needed if you want to synchronize
> several atmarp daemons.
>
> HS>3. Are there examples for SVCs in netgraph/natm/HARP ?
>
> There is some documentation in /usr/share/examples/atm. For the rc.conf
> variables you should refer to the rc files.

Ok. I did some homework. I have now :

$ atm show int
Interface  Sigmgr   State
hatm0      UNI 3.0  INIT
     ATM address = 0x47.0005.80.ffe100.0000.0000.0000.0020482e1367.00
     Network interfaces: fa0

There is now an UNI 3.0 signal manager and an ATM address. When I plug
in the fiber the machine panics:

fault virtual address = 0x0
fault code            = supervisor write, page not present
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process       = 26 (swi1: net)
trap number           = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime 29s
Cannot dump....

I have this in my kernel:

options         ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.

options         NATM
options         ATM_CORE                #core ATM protocol family
options         ATM_IP                  #IP over ATM support
#options         ATM_SIGPVC              #SIGPVC signalling manager
#options         ATM_SPANS               #SPANS signalling manager
options         ATM_UNI                 #UNI signalling manager

# ATM
device          hatm
device          utopia
device          atm
device          harp

What do I have to do know ?

> HS>I have googled around and found examples for PVCs, but the switch supports
> HS>only SVCs. Both ends seem to send/receive SONET frames but nothing more:
> HS>
> HS>hatm0: flags=841<UP,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 9180
> HS>        media: ATM Multi-mode/155MBit
> HS>        status: active
> HS>fa0: flags=43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING> mtu 9180
> HS>        ether 00:20:48:2e:13:67
> HS>
> HS>On the switch the Link Status LED is green. At the end I want to build
> HS>something like this:
> HS>
> HS>Telco -- DSL Router -- FreeBSD as a IP/ATM bridge/router or switch -- 3Com
> HS>with ethernet clients
> HS>
> HS>Is this possible or do I need a real ATM switch ?
>
> What do you want the FreeBSD to do here? Should it terminate the pppoa or
> whatever your DLS uses? Or do you want it to transparently connect the DSL
> to the ATM switch on the ATM layer?

Not exactly. For the beginning I just want to build a private ATM net.
The FreeBSD host should provide (IP)-services (imap,http,video...) to
the Ethernet VLANs clients at the 3Com switch. The telco DSL Router is
giving me ethernet, maybe it's possible to connect it to a VLAN at the
switch and make the ATM cells available to my private net. But this is
for later. Basicly I want to have some practical expirience with ATM.

> harti

Heiner

--
Heiner Strauss	heiner@bilch.com        Bilch International Consulting