Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:19:45 EST
From:      TD790@aol.com
To:        burnscharlesn@hotmail.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64-bit PCI mobos

In a message dated 1/25/02 9:09:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
burnscharlesn@hotmail.com writes:

> >Have you tried to run them with 180watt power supplies? Or in a humid
>  >environment? The problems are well-known and have nothing to do with
>  >"luck".
>  >At least they admit it...they took back about 70 MBs from us without
boxes
>  >or
>  >accessories.
>
>  Can you really blame a motherboard when the system is using such a minimal
>  power supply? Extremely low wattage power supplies are often made with
lower

>  quality parts as well, as what reason is there to get such a wimpy PS
other
>  than price?
>  If the Tyan boards malfunctioned in humid conditions whereas other boards
>  worked well, that is certainly not forgivable (though none of the Tyan
>  boards that I have used have had such problems).

The 810/815 chipset specs should require less 150watts with a single IDE
drive, as ALL other MBs of similar design function well. Most 1U systems have
such "wimpy" power supplies (150 is common), so I guess your "world" is
different than mine. I have to remember what list this is after all :-)

We already, in this thread, have 2 noted "flaws" in MBs from a single company
(not random occurances, but known and similar design problems), yet you'll
argue (with no technical understanding of the subject) that there are no
problems because you  havent experienced them. Why?

db