Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:44:43 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mouse battery status?

Eric,

> I saw a recent commit regarding bluetooth mouse battery status:
>
> markus      2006-02-10 19:54:17 UTC
>
>  FreeBSD src repository (ports committer)
>
>  Modified files:
>    usr.sbin/bluetooth/bthidcontrol sdp.c  Log:
>  - Fix attribute id of HIDBatteryPower
>  - Fix two typos in comments
>
>  Approved by:    emax
>
>  Revision  Changes    Path
>  1.2       +5 -5      src/usr.sbin/bluetooth/bthidcontrol/sdp.c
>

> That's for -current, but I'm running 6.1-PRERELEASE (fyi).
>
> Is there a way to find the current battery power on a bluetooth mouse?
> Here's a bthidcontrol dump of my Logitech mx900:

with this patch bthidd(8) should properly detect battery operated
devices. that is one piece of the puzzle

another piece is that the device should send hid report about its
battery status, i.e. bthidd(8) will use syslog(3) facility to log such
events.

bthidd(8) understand battery report if page is HUP_MICROSOFT and usage
is 0xfe01 (please see /usr/src/usr.sbin/bluetooth/bthidd/hid.c for details).

i do not see page == microsoft and usage == 0xfe01 in the hid descriptor
you have posted. so it seems like your mouse will not send battery report.

thanks,
max