Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:10:52 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mouse battery status?

Eric,

>>> Is there a way to find the current battery power on a bluetooth
>>> mouse?  Here's a bthidcontrol dump of my Logitech mx900:
>>
>> with this patch bthidd(8) should properly detect battery operated
>> devices. that is one piece of the puzzle
>>
>> another piece is that the device should send hid report about its
>> battery status, i.e. bthidd(8) will use syslog(3) facility to log such
>> events.
>>
>> bthidd(8) understand battery report if page is HUP_MICROSOFT and usage
>> is 0xfe01 (please see /usr/src/usr.sbin/bluetooth/bthidd/hid.c for
>> details).
>>
>> i do not see page == microsoft and usage == 0xfe01 in the hid
>> descriptor you have posted. so it seems like your mouse will not send
>> battery report.
>
> Ahh - so only MS mice send the output, or that's just a Microsoft add-in
> that others use too?

do not know. this code in bthidd(8) was written by looking at msdn docs
(i think).

> I have a microsoft bluetooth mouse at home that I'll try to get the info
> from.

ok. let us know about the results.

> I wonder where the right place to report the battery information is?

like i said, right now it goes to /var/log/messages. info, notice and
warning levels are used for different battery states (ok, low, very
low). if this is not the right place, please let me know where do you
want it to be?

thanks,
max