Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:52:59 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mouse battery status?

Eric Anderson wrote:

[...]

>>> I suppose if one wanted to make a tool to monitor the mouse battery
>>> (say, for an X window manager), you could poll/parse the output of
>>> bthidcontrol, right?  Is there a better way to grab the info (a bthid
>>> library or something)?   Sorry if this is a trivial question - I'm
>>> not a bluetooth hacker :)
>>
>> not quite. "battery report" is an input report, i.e. mouse should send
>> it periodically. bhtidd(8) already parses it. the question is what
>> should it do with this information? right now it just logs it. it
>> could send another message to another application (i.e. mouse battery
>> monitoring tool) so it can do whatever is required.
>
> I think either a sysctl entry that shows the value (0 - 3) would be
> nice.   I guess ng_hci would create it? Then bthidd would just change
> the sysctl value when it gets the report from the mouse.. ?

sysctl sounds like a good idea, but i'm not sure who would create such
sysctl. it most definitely does not belong at bluetooth hci, l2cap,
rfcomm and even socket layer. this information is strictly for hid. so,
i think, syslog is the best place for it right now. it is possible to
divert these messages into another file and have monitoring tool
look/parse the file periodically.

thanks,
max