Date:      21 Mar 2002 16:05:46 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DB Authentication

"Ronan Lucio" <ronan@melim.com.br> writes:

> I need to do this to create new options like, the user maintain his
> own account by himself, and I=B4ve been some tests with passwd file,
> but the passwd file have corrupted some times with simultaneous
> access.

The password commands lock the passwd database themselves, so this
seems unlikely.

> I looking for the easier (faster) way to get it and I should to know
> if I must use pam.pgsql ou pam.ldap.

I don't know about faster; the default method uses a hashed database,
and it's unlikely that an SQL database would be able to beat it for
speed.=20

> I=B4ve seem many people saing that ldap is hard to make it work, but
> I don=B4t know if I use pam.pgsql I=B4ll do all servirces authenticate.

This may turn out to be a good question.  If they use the recommended
functions for accessing authentication functionality, it should just
work, but there may be some unconverted services around.