Date:      Sun, 07 May 2006 21:04:17 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
Cc:        Interlink Beheer <beheer@il.fontys.nl>, FreeBSD Net <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nd6_lookup prints bogus messages with point to point devices

--------------enigFC6AB091FFE13E16F4E1318A

If memory serves me right, Ed Schouten wrote:

> On one of the FreeBSD machines we maintain at Dispuut Interlink[1], we
> get a lot of messages like these:
>=20
> | nd6_lookup: failed to add route for a neighbor(<ipv6-addr>), errno=3D=
17
>=20
> The addresses mentioned in the messages are all addresses of endpoint
> addresses of point-to-point devices. The nd6_lookup() call in the
> function nd6_output() is responsible for it. If you look through
> nd6_output(), you see that a couple of lines below the nd6_lookup() cal=
> it doesn't really care when dealing with IFF_POINTOPOINT devices.
>=20
> It would be really useful to drop the messages when dealing with point
> to point devices, so I write a patch[2] for nd6_lookup() to make it
> print the message when not dealing with IFF_POINTOPOINT devices.
>=20
> Should I open a PR for this patch?

I think that suz@ and ume@ are the people who have worked in this area
most recently, hopefully one of them will speak up.  You didn't give a
lot of details...please give (at a minimum) the version of FreeBSD
you're using and more details about the interface over which you're
having this problem.

I saw this on RELENG_6 sometime after some IPv6 ND changes that were
merged in late last year.  I have a gif(4) tunnel to my ISP over which I
do IPv6.  The GIF tunnel was originally configured as a point-to-point
interface and I got the same messages you mentioned.  My workaround was
to configure the gif(4) interface as a /127, which was obviously only
possible because the two interface addresses on each end of the tunnel
just happened to differ only in their least-significant bits.  (I know
this isn't the right solution.)

Bruce.