Date:      29 Jun 2000 10:23:19 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        David Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-questions] some errors after 4 Stable upgrade

David Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am getting these messages on boot
>
> Jun 27 13:03:13 tracker /kernel: WARNING: "fd" is usurping "fd"'s
> cdevsw[]
> Jun 27 13:03:13 tracker /kernel: WARNING: "fd" is usurping "fd"'s bmaj

Hmm.  That sounds like device mismatches.  Try re-making the standard
devices with the new MAKEDEV script from your new sources.  [I assume
you already did that, but it would be highly desirable to do it again
just to be sure you didn't forget, and that you did it with the
MAKEDEV that matches the sources you installed.

> Jun 27 13:03:14 tracker /kernel: adv1: Invalid baseport of 0x200
> specified. Neer
> est valid baseport is 0x210.  Failing probe.
> Jun 27 13:03:14 tracker /kernel: unknown0: <SYM 53C416> at port
> 0x200-0x21f irq
> 10 on isa0
>
> It tried looking for "fd", "bmaj", "0x200" in GENERIC file - to get
> some idea what these errors are about - not there

adv0 is an AdvanSys SCSI controller.  If you don't have one, disable
it (either through boot-time configuration, loader scripts, or by
compiling a kernel without it).

> Also - my sound is not working

Try solving the other problems first.

> WHen I try and use sound I get an error on the screen;
> /dev/dsp: device not configured

Right.  It's not working.

> My card is a sound blaster
> in GENERIC I used;

By the way, don't edit GENERIC directly.  If you do, it's not
actually, um, generic any more.  Instead, copy it to another file
(conventionally, the name of the machine, only in upper case, but it
really doesn't matter) and edit that.

> #sound devices
> device         pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
> device         sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
> #device sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
> #device sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
> #device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330

Your SoundBlaster isn't PnP or PCI, I take it.  That should work.  I
have an old PnP SB16, and I use something similar only the first of
the two lines is just "device pcm".

> It seems to get recognized in the boot;
>
> Jun 27 13:03:14 tracker /kernel: sbc0: <Soundblaster 16> at port
> 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa0
> Jun 27 13:03:14 tracker /kernel: sbc0: setting card to irq 5, drq 1, 5
> Jun 27 13:03:14 tracker /kernel: pcm1: <SB DSP 4.11> on sbc0
> Jun 27 13:03:14 tracker /kernel: adv1: Invalid baseport of 0x200
> specified. Neerest valid baseport is 0x210.  Failing probe.
> Jun 27 13:03:14 tracker /kernel: unknown0: <SYM 53C416> at port
> 0x200-0x21f irq 10 on isa0
>
> you can see here the first errors I mentioned immediately follow the
> soundblaster indentification

I think that's irrelevant.  Solve the other problems first (removing
sound completely from your kernel will probably help you focus on the
other problems in the meantime), then move on to sound.

If I had to guess, I'd say that you hadn't built the sound devices,
either (if you recall, that was my guess about the "fd" errors as
well), but that's just a guess.  Make sure you've imported the new
MAKEDEV from the new sources -- this is covered in the handbook
section on building from source -- and do the following:
 # cd /dev
 # sh MAKEDEV std
 # sh MAKEDEV snd0
and see if these problems go away...