Date:      Sun, 01 Jul 2007 21:32:19 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   +CONTENTS files

Pardon me for being naive, but wouldn't it be wiser for all of the data
in the +CONTENTS file to be aggregated into sections instead of having
line by line info?

Example (net/samba_3.0.25a):

@comment MD5:9e94560ac5e757d3bc5f922dcf3ab4fb
man/man1/log2pcap.1.gz
[~100 lines of repetitive data...]
@comment MD5:9f5fc8df2a1383a175e165ef2e0b10cc
man/man8/vfs_notify_fam.8.gz

    Could be aggregated into:

@MD5
9e94560ac5e757d3bc5f922dcf3ab4fb man/man1/log2pcap.1.gz
c58f068d603a12d4af867c15cf77e636 man/man1/nmblookup.1.gz
[etc..]
@end MD5

    or something similar to XML.

    This would reduce the filesize from n bytes to n - (9 + 4 -1) *
i_entries + 8. In larger package files this would reduce the amount of
data parsing by a long shot. Also, more powerful scripting languages
like Perl, Python, or smart parsers in C could make short work of this
data and just extract the MD5 elements for comparison.

    Also, by doing a little extra work when creating packages by
organizing all the sections together, I think that the file size could
be reduced by a large degree.

    Similar fields to @comment MD5 could be reduced I believe, but with
less benefit maybe, other than just the @unexec rmdir, etc lines.

    Either that, or the data should be organized into separate files I
think (increases number of files, but reduces overall processing time IMO).

Thanks,
-Garrett