Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:05:03 -0400
From:      Stephen Clark <Stephen.Clark@seclark.us>
To:        karels@karels.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>, Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 6.2 mtu now limits size of incomming packet

Mike Karels wrote:

>>A related change that should probably be discussed if we want to think more
>>about asymmetry in maximum transmission unit is this one:
>>

>>   ----------------------------
>>   revision 1.98
>>   date: 2006/06/26 17:54:53;  author: andre;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -0
>>   In syncache_respond() do not reply with a MSS that is larger than what
>>   the peer announced to us but make it at least tcp_minmss in size.
>>

>>   Sponsored by:   TCP/IP Optimization Fundraise 2005
>>   ----------------------------
>>

>>In this change, we cap the advertised MSS in SYN/ACK to the received
>>advertised MSS, which presumably avoids an extra PMTU round trip if jumbograms
>>are enabled on the receiving endpoint.  However, it also prevents use of
>>larger packet sizes if asymmetric MTU is supported.  I think I suggested after
>>this was committed that we at least add an administrative twiddle to
>>enable/disable this mode of operation, but don't see one in there currently.
>>Does the Secure Computing scenario use TCP in this way, and is the potential
>>win in avoiding a PMTU round-trip worth disallowing asymmetric MSS at the TCP
>>layer?
>>

>In our case, TCP isn't aware of the MRU, and bases its MSS on the MTU values.
>However, I don't see any reason for TCP to cap the MSS at the received MSS.
>If the other end doesn't want to receive more than 1024 bytes, that's no
>reason to refuse to accept more.
>
>		Mike

So was any decision reached on this issue - will FreeBSD changed to
accept a packet on an
interface that is larger than the mtu on that interface?

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)