Date:      Fri, 1 Jul 2005 23:40:03 -0700
From:      "D. Goss" <lists@dylangoss.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   atheros supported wireless card not seen under 5.4 release - help please

I've been happy with my limited use of FreeBSD and am slowly
propagating it to other machines I can find... :)

I've just installed 5.4 release (generic) onto an older Dell Inspiron
7500 laptop.  I'm trying to get a PCMCIA wireless network card
working and having problems.

The card is Atheros based and hence listed as supported under the
harware list (NEC PA-WL/54AG) via ath(4).  If I ifconfig the card is
not shown, I only see the loopback.

dmesg shows   cardbus0: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver
attached)

Finally, the card has been shown to work in another laptop under
another OS so I know the hardware is good.

Can anyone give me a few clues where to look that might have a fresh
install not seeing this card?

Thank you -
d.