Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:20:12 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Frank_Wi=DFmann?= <frank.wissmann41@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solved partly

--------------enig0F368391122030F0BE048C83

Frank Wi=DFmann wrote:
>> Hi all!
>> Hope there's somebody out there who can help me with the following=20
>> problem:
>> When I type "startx" as root all is coming up as expected, the=20
>> X-Server and twm as WM. When I stop it, log in as a normal user and do=
=20
>> the same there is only a grey screen with a mouse-cursor coming up and=
=20
>> doing nothing until I kill the X-Server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. On=20
>> the original screen from which I tried to start is shown the following=
=20
>> error message:
>>
>> AUDIT: Thu Apr 3 20:34:48 2008 836 X: client 1 rejected from localhost=
=20
>> (uid 1001)
>> Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
>> Xlib: connection to "0:0" refused by server
>> Xlib: Protocol not supported by server
>>
>> .xinitrc and .xsession both have the same contens "exec startxfce4"=20
>> and the permissions "rwxr-xr-x".
>>
>> Any thoughts please?
>>
>> TIA Frank
>>
>=20
> To your information:
>=20
> I just tried out of despair something weird and started my X-Server by =

> the /etc/ttys-file and a reboot. Logging iin as root worked as it did=20
> before but to my astonishment it worked logging in as a user too. So I =

> now have a working Xfce environment on my other machine too. There is n=
o=20
> need to think about it anymore. I'm just curious why it didn't work the=
=20
> other way round.
> So, happy weekend for all of you and a big "Thank you" to all who let=20
> work their mind to help me.

Did you install X setuid root?  If you're using xdm(1) or one of the othe=
similar display managers that are started out of ttys(5) then X is starte=
by a root process anyhow, and doesn't need to be setuid.  If you intend t=
use startx(1) then X needs to be setuid for mortal users to be able to st=
art
it.

To change the setting:

    make config

in /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server and then reinstall the xorg-server
port.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20