Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2008 06:32:30 +0200
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich@pukruppa.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Spam sent to me from my own mail server ?

Sorry, I forgot to post to the list!
------------------------------------

Matthew Seaman schrieb:
 > Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
 >> Steve Bertrand schrieb:

 >>> The only way to tell for certain is to review the headers
 >>> of the message.

(18971066005.user.veloxzone.com .br [189.71.66.5] (may be
 >> forged)) by pukruppa.net (8.14.2/8.14.2) with SMTP id
 >> m7RGmXTN038419 for <ulrich@pukruppa.net>; Wed, 27 Aug 2008
 >> 18:48:34 +0200 (CEST) (envelope-from ixd@pukruppa.net)
 >
 > It's a simple forgery by the spammer.  They just claim to be
 > sending from your domain because there are apparently people
 > that run internet connected mail systems where doing that
 > makes it easier to inject spam... Either that, or the spammers
 > figure they'll get you with the bounce-o-gramme even if the
 > first delivery doesn't work.
 >
 > There are a number of measures you can take against such
 > things.  One thing that is pretty easy to implement is to set
 > up SPF records in the DNS.  This won't stop the spammers
 > attacking you this way, but it does mean that spamassassin
 > will award them lots of spam points and probably reject the mail.
 >
 > If you're using sendmail as your MTA, then look at
 > implementing the following features in your $(hostname).mc:
Would that mean a file called
     /etc/mail/pukruppa.net.mc
in my case? Since I get
     # hostname
     pukruppa.net
or do I leave away the .net ?

Thanks,

Uli.

 > FEATURE(greet_pause, `5000')dnl ## 5 seconds
FEATURE(block_bad_helo)dnl FEATURE(badmx)dnl FEATURE(require_rdns)dnl

--

Peter Ulrich Kruppa
Wuppertal

--