Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 2008 20:09:10 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   How to support an Ethernet PHY without ID registers?

Hi,

I have been trying to get FreeBSD onto the Freecom FSG3 Storage Gateway.
It is an xScale based ARM system.

Whilst the npe(4) driver appears to attach, the PHY does not. It is a
Realtel RTL8305SB switch chip in dual miibus mode. Unfortunately the
RTL8305SB does not have ID registers. The RTL8305SC does, but it's a
totally different chip.

We do have a driver in the tree for the RTL8305SC, however these chips
are different enough for this to cause problems.

Is there any way I could for example force ukphy(4) to attach?

Note: Because there are no ID registers, mii_phy_probe_gen() WILL NOT
work. It looks like I'd have to override this by hacking if_npe.c
itself. Can anyone clarify?

cheers
BMS